Monday 8 June 2015

5 years and Motherhood still rocks

I finally decided what I want this blog to be about - Motherhood, Parenthood and Family from my perspective. And I am doing it on a very special day, my son 'Ashioma's' 5th birthday.



I know there are other blogs out there that focus on these topics but I also believe every blogger is unique in their approach.

5 years ago today I became a mother for the very first time. I still can't find the words to describe the way I felt the first time I held Ashioma in my arms. It was like my world became sunnier and brighter. As sunny and bright as in a happily ever after cartoon movie.

My doctors had given me an EDD of 6th June but the little one decided to take his time.

First signs of labour started at exactly 9pm on the 7th June 2010. I remember I was watching TV that evening and my husband, Carl was out at a meeting not too far from our home. I called my doctor and said,

Ash: Dr. P, I think the baby is on his way.

Dr. P: How do you know that?

Ash: I am having contractions and it is definitely not Braxton Hicks. It feels a lot stronger.

Dr. P: Have you packed your hospital bag?

Ash: Since January.

Dr. P: Great. Get to the hospital.



That call ends and I call Carl. When I told him, he started panicking but I assured him the baby wasn't popping out that moment and he should get home safely. As soon as he got in, he grabbed my hospital bag, took me by the hand and proceeded towards the front door. But I told him I needed 30 minutes more to have a shower. He couldn't believe how calm I was.

Shower done, we headed down to the hospital which was just 2 minutes away from our home. The doctor checked me and said all was well. I was admitted so the baby and I could be monitored. Carl was asked to go home to rest in preparation for the 'journey' ahead. Not long after, my water broke and I must say no one can describe and nothing can prepare you for labour pains. It is more like 'you have to experience it to understand it'.
In between contractions, I picked up my phone and called Carl. He had to come back. I wasn't going to go through this alone.

Fast forward to almost 24 hours later and Ashioma Anthony Raccah was born, at exactly 8:55pm on the 8th June 2010.

Ashioma aka 'BamBam' has been a blessing to our lives. He has opened our eyes and hearts to things we were blinded to. As a woman, BamBam has helped me grow in patience, love and maturity. Words cannot describe how much he means to us and each day we thank GOD for this amazing blessing and for what he has bestowed on us.
Give me the stresses & strains and high & lows of the 40weeks of pregnancy plus labour pains any day because motherhood rocks.

Happy 5th birthday to our munchkin, our sunshine boy, our little soldier, our precious love. We love you eternally.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Geez!!! How could I forget. Happy Belated Birthday Bam-Bam. May you grow to be a source of Joy to your family, friends and relatives....And may you continue to grow in good health. Amen.

    Well done Mummy Ash!!! Yipeee, so glad you did it. Now I can read from you too. Can't wait to see more amazing posts. More grease to your ink, Maami. #wink.

    ReplyDelete